It’s Free RPG Day 2014, when your friendly local gaming shops give away free stuff!
If you’re interested in trying out small press and independently published story games, there are already lots of games out there you can try for free. Below is a list of a number of games that are out there.
The games marked with a [P] are pay-what-you-want. You can of course pay them nothing, but please consider contributing a few pounds or dollars as a sign of appreciation and to encourage designers to keep producing great games for us all to pay. A number of designers have other ways you can help support them – please consider doing that as well.
But without further ado, here’s our list of games. If a game is marked in bold and italicised, it means that its a game we’ve either already plugged on the podcast or otherwise especially recommend:
- Always/Never/Now by Will Hindmarch [P]
- Archipelago third edition by Matthjis Holter
- Anarktika: Fate of Heroes by Richard Williams and others
- Blood and Water by James Mullen
- Deeds and Doers by Ben Lehman [P]
- Dream Askew by Avery Mcdaldno
- A Family Affair by Ashley Griffiths
- Ghost/Echo by John Harper
- Lady Blackbird by John Harper
- Lasers and Feelings by John Harper
- Midsummer Wood by Vincent Baker
- The Pool by James V. West
- Powers for Good by Sage LaTorra [P]
- Rookvale by Avery Mcdaldno
- Skew by Ben Lehman [P]
- Three Days by Avery Mcdaldno
- Under My Skin by Emily Care Boss
- Vast and Starlit by Epidah Ravachol [P]
- What You Wish For by Ashley Griffiths [P]
- When the Dark is Gone by Becky Annison
If you know of a game that is available for free or on a pay-what-you-like basis online (maybe your game?), feel free to mention it below and we’ll consider adding it to the list.
And, of course, please subscribe to the Twitching Curtain podcast!